If you’re 1 of nan fortunate fans who managed to get tickets to the Super Bowl, congratulations. You’re successful for a thrilling experience. But if you’re still looking for tickets and are tempted by offers connected societal media platforms, beware. You mightiness extremity up pinch a clone summons and a batch of disappointment.
Counterfeit tickets are a superior rumor that affects galore awesome events, particularly nan Super Bowl. According to members of nan intelligence squad astatine managed intelligence institution Nisos, scammers are actively seeking victims who are hoping to get last-minute tickets to nan Super Bowl, often preying connected their desperation and nan scarcity of tickets to return advantage of them.
Nisos has been compiling a information dive connected counterfeit Super Bowl tickets for this Sunday’s large crippled and has uncovered immoderate alarming findings.
CLICK TO GET KURT’S FREE CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER WITH SECURITY ALERTS, QUICK VIDEO TIPS, TECH REVIEWS, AND EASY HOW-TO’S TO MAKE YOU SMARTER
One of nan astir communal ways that scammers create clone tickets is by utilizing image editing package to make documents mimicking morganatic tickets, specified arsenic receipts. They whitethorn besides usage stolen aliases forged barcodes aliases QR codes to make nan tickets look much authentic.
SERIAL FOOTBALL TICKET SCAMMER FUGITIVE WITH VICTIMS NATIONWIDE CAPTURED IN GEORGIA
Nisos recovered respective instances of specified clone tickets being advertised connected societal media platforms. The 1 beneath was posted connected X.
MORE: THE MOST TALKED-ABOUT SUPER BOWL ADS OF 2024
Another method that scammers usage is to leverage automation and perchance artificial intelligence successful bid to place and target victims based connected connection utilized successful posts. For example, Nisos received responses from scammers wrong little than a infinitesimal aft including emblematic buzzwords and hashtags utilized by group wanting to bargain tickets, specified arsenic #SuperBowl, #SuperBowlTickets aliases #LookingForTickets. These responses often contained links to different platforms, specified arsenic WhatsApp, Telegram aliases Cash App, wherever nan scammers would effort to finalize nan deal.
WHAT IS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI)?
MORE: HOW TO SCORE GREAT DEAL ON TV BEFORE SUPER BOWL
Scammers besides usage cross-platform operations to evade discovery and bans by societal media platforms. They will place and initiate communications pinch you connected 1 societal media level earlier requesting you move to another. This is apt successful an effort to forestall 1 societal media level from gaining afloat penetration into nan fraudulent activity and banning nan accounts.
Nisos observed that scammers often utilized aggregate accounts connected different platforms to behaviour their scams. Let this beryllium a informing for consumers erstwhile engaging connected different platforms speech from X, for illustration Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Telegram, Cash App, Venmo, and Zelle.
MORE: HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM VENMO, ZELLE, CASH APP SCAM THAT CAN WIPE OUT YOUR SAVINGS IN SECONDS
Finally, scammers whitethorn connection monolithic discounts for soon-occurring events, specified arsenic nan Super Bowl, to entice you to bargain quickly. They whitethorn authorities they conscionable want to waste nan tickets "last minute" to warrant large, charismatic discounts, specified arsenic 50% disconnected aliases more. The chat beneath started aft Niso analysts put retired a nationalist station for Super Bowl tickets and nan scammers engaged done DMs.
They whitethorn besides declare to person a individual aliases master logic for not being capable to be nan event, specified arsenic a family emergency aliases a activity conflict. Nisos recovered that scammers often utilized these excuses to unit victims into making hasty decisions and transferring money without verifying nan tickets.
MORE: HOW TO AVOID BEING VICTIM OF THIS SNEAKY FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE SCAM
One of nan challenges of identifying and search nan scammers down counterfeit summons scams is that they often usage compromised societal media accounts to transportation retired their operations. These accounts whitethorn beryllium to existent group who person had their accounts hacked aliases stolen by nan scammers, aliases to clone personas created by nan scammers utilizing stolen aliases fabricated individual information. Nisos identified aggregate instances erstwhile nan account’s username, show name, and names connected their associated costs accounts were each attributed to abstracted individuals.
Scammers whitethorn besides usage identity fraud to create aliases entree slope accounts and costs applications that they usage to person money from victims. They whitethorn usage stolen aliases forged recognition documents, specified arsenic driver’s licenses, passports, aliases societal information cards, to unfastened aliases verify these accounts. Nisos recovered that scammers often utilized different names and identities connected different platforms, making it difficult to trace nan money travel and nan existent identities of nan scammers.
MORE: HOW CASH PAYMENT APP SCAMS ARE SWINDLING MONEY
The champion measurement to protect yourself from counterfeit summons scams is to beryllium vigilant and cautious erstwhile buying tickets online, particularly done societal media platforms. Here are 7 tips that tin thief you spot and debar imaginable scams:
1. Beware of scammers utilizing societal engineering techniques. For example, they whitethorn promote you to transportation money instantly arsenic they allegedly person different prospective buyers. They whitethorn besides usage affectional appeals, specified arsenic sympathy, guilt, aliases urgency, to manipulate you into making a decision. Nisos recovered that scammers often utilized these strategies to unit victims into paying earlier verifying nan tickets.
2. Be wary of individuals showing receipts aliases impervious of purchase. This is not a guarantee that an individual is successful possession of a ticket, and it tin beryllium easy faked. Nisos recovered respective examples of clone receipts that scammers utilized to person victims that they had bought nan tickets from morganatic sources, specified arsenic Ticketmaster, StubHub, aliases SeatGeek.
GET MORE OF MY SECURITY ALERTS, QUICK TIPS & EASY VIDEO TUTORIALS WITH THE FREE CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER - CLICK HERE
3. Exercise be aware erstwhile interacting pinch individuals asking for you to "name your price" aliases are trading beneath summons value. This whitethorn beryllium a motion that they are trying to lure you into a scam pinch a too-good-to-be-true offer. Nisos recovered that scammers often utilized this strategy to pull victims who were looking for inexpensive aliases affordable tickets.
4. Be cautious erstwhile interacting pinch group claiming to waste tickets connected behalf of a friend aliases family member. This whitethorn supply an excuse for scammers utilizing compromised slope accounts pinch nan relationship holder's sanction different from nan societal media relationship being used. Nisos recovered that scammers often utilized this pretext to explicate nan discrepancy betwixt nan names connected nan accounts.
5. Review nan account’s caller history, arsenic immoderate scammers whitethorn declare to beryllium trading tickets to aggregate high-profile events, specified arsenic sports games, euphony concerts, and conferences astatine 1 time. This whitethorn bespeak that they are moving a large-scale scam cognition and are not genuine sellers. Nisos recovered that scammers often posted aggregate ads for different events connected nan aforesaid aliases different platforms, utilizing nan aforesaid aliases akin images and descriptions.
6. Exercise be aware and validate ownership moreover erstwhile purchasing items from friends aliases friends of friends connected societal media. Nisos identified aggregate instances erstwhile a family personnel aliases friend’s relationship was compromised and utilized by a scammer. Friends of nan unfortunate vouched for nan relationship personification arsenic a morganatic seller, not realizing nan relationship had been hacked.
SCAM ALERT: THAT PARKING TICKET MIGHT NOT BE REAL
7. Our No. 1 extremity to debar becoming a unfortunate of purchasing counterfeit tickets is to avoid buying tickets done societal media platforms. This exposes you to a precocious consequence of getting scammed by counterfeit tickets and losing your money and your chance to bask nan Super Bowl.
Instead, acquisition tickets done charismatic and reputable sources, specified arsenic nan NFL, Ticketmaster, StubHub aliases SeatGeek. These platforms person information measures and guarantees that protect you from fraud and guarantee that nan tickets are authentic and valid.
MORE: HOW TO GET YOUR TV GAME-READY FOR THE SUPER BOWL
Counterfeit summons scams are a superior and prevalent problem that affects galore fans who want to be nan Super Bowl. Scammers usage various strategies and techniques to create clone tickets, target and deceive victims and evade discovery and attribution. You tin protect yourself from these scams by being vigilant and cautious erstwhile buying tickets online, particularly done societal media platforms. The champion measurement to debar getting scammed by counterfeit tickets is to bargain tickets done charismatic and reputable sources, specified arsenic nan NFL, Ticketmaster, StubHub, aliases SeatGeek. By pursuing these tips, you tin guarantee that you get to bask nan Super Bowl safely and securely without falling unfortunate to crooks.
What do you deliberation societal media platforms and authorities tin do much to forestall and combat counterfeit summons scams? Let america cognize by penning america at Cyberguy.com/Contact.
For much of my tech tips & information alerts, subscribe to my free CyberGuy Report Newsletter by heading to Cyberguy.com/Newsletter.
Ask Kurt a mobility aliases fto america cognize what stories you'd for illustration america to cover.
Answers to nan astir asked CyberGuy questions:
Copyright 2024 CyberGuy.com. All authorities reserved.